Monday, June 10, 2013

The making of an action hero pt2

Entry #1 Ever since I foiled the plans of the dark lotus ninja clan I’ve been in hiding. That hot little brunette and I have been pretending to live in the mundane world somewhere, well secret. It’s been difficult, especially after that accident in the chemical plant took half my sight. We’ve made out OK so far. It’s kind of nice not to have to run into automatic weapons fire every other day. The problem is I can’t keep living like this. Dr. Methuselah just threatened to end the universe in four years on net flicks. The ninjas are still out there, I just know it. The government can’t even execute a search warrant in secret. So it’s up to me and the brunette to save the world…except that I’m way out of shape for the hero business. Somewhere between defusing that unobtanium bomb and today I put on 140 pounds. It’s all going to have to come off. I figure, without the Joe’s training center to work with, I’m going to have to do it the old fashioned way. So, I’ve taken a few steps in that direction. First I went through Amazon and ordered a talking scale. This whole not seeing thing is a real pain. It should arrive in a few days, at which point the real challenge begins. I’m honestly not looking forward to the “moment of truth” every morning. I hated the scale back when I wrestled. I doubt that’s going to change much until I start losing weight. Still, it has to be done. I went through a list of all the fast food and quick stop places we go for meals when we’re in a hurry. I reviewed the menus, nutrition, serving sizes, and came up with a priority list of locations and default orders. I hate fast food now. Intellectually I knew that what I was eating was bad. Finding out that your standard order from a certain drive through is over 1300 calories tends to put the word “bad” in a new light. It’s good that we don’t go cheap and fast nearly as much as we used to. Even so, there are going to be those times when it’s going to happen. I want to be able to make a suggestion when someone asks and have an order ready when we get there. This way I can’t wimp out by saying I didn’t know how bad the menu selection was. I’ve picked and ranked the following selections based on a variety of criteria. • They have to be under 500 calories. • They have to constitute a meal that I will actually want to eat. • They have to be somewhat portable. • They have to be somewhat healthy or at least less unhealthy than other potential selections. Location Choice Rank Cal Chick-Fil-A Market Salad 1 180 Chipotle Chipotle salad with barbacoa, black beans, and fresh tomato salsa 2 320 Subway 6-inch Veggie Delight All veggies, no cheese, light dressing 3 400 Wendy's Half Apple Pecan Chicken Salad, 4 340 McDonald's Mcwrap grilled sweet chili chicken and apple slices 5 375 Burger King BK VEGGIE Burger 6 450 Panera Pick 2, chicken seizer salad and garden veggie soup with apple side. 7 400 Taco Bell Fresco Burrito Supreme® – Chicken and 1 Fresco Chicken Soft Taco 8 490 Next, I’m going to go through all our local sit-down places and build default orders. To some this probably looks like preparing for failure. In reality, I’m shining the light of truth on my eating habits. After reading through eight fast food menus, I’m not really interested in choking down 60% of my recommended calorie total in one meal. Intake for 6/10/13: • Breakfast was a small bowl of Fiber 1 and a glass of herbal tea. • Lunch was an apple, ham Swiss and mustard wrap, and a piece of string cheese. • Dinner was home made Mexican chicken and rice leftovers. • Drank 90oz of tea/water. It’s a small start, but I feel like it’s a beginning. Tonight I’m going to cut up apples so we can make our own oatmeal in the crock-pot. More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment